Things are going well. I am finally feeling like myself again and am feeling mobile. The first few weeks for me were a painful mix of exhaustion and illness. I ended up getting mastitis and having to go to Emergency on a Thursday night. I had developed a fever of 39.1 and breastfeeding was clearly painful. Poor Zoey was getting the short end of the stick as well since she wasn't really getting as much as she needed or wanted to eat. Once I was on antibiotics for that I started to feel better, but the meds were affecting Zoey and causing her to vomit after some feedings. Not a good feeling seeing your tiny baby girl vomiting like that or looking down while feeding and seeing her mouth fill with spit up. Even though I managed to stay in control, it set my heart a racing a few times.
While the mastitis cleared up, I started having a massive amount of pain when I would sit, which was all the time with feedings. I initially chalked it up to bruising from delivery that I hadn't noticed before. But when it wasn't getting better after three days I had enough and called to make an appointment with my doctor. It was getting to the point that sitting and standing were unbearably painful. It turned out that I had a secondary infection that the first round of meds weren't dealing with. So I was switched to another type of antibiotic to help deal with this new infection. We were excited at the possibility of new medication that would be easier on Zoey's stomach.
So I am finally feeling healthy and comfortable. Even though a great deal of my day is spent sitting and feeding, I am not in pain. I am incredibly grateful for that. Now the lack of sleep, while still difficult at times, is not so profound and crippling. A lot of prayer has gone into the past few weeks and we overjoyed with the blessings that we have received. Zoey is a beautiful and sweet little girl. Everyday we see her grown and develop more and more personality.
It's been a challenging few weeks but we are getting through it together. We also know that as time goes on, things slowly get a little easier. Along the way we are taking in the small joys, like the soft coos she makes now, the big bright smile that she is trying out.
Life is good and we are blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment