Thursday, November 22, 2012

Labour and Delivery Knows My Name...



As I sat there on the hospital bed sipping my water, I stared at those awful pastel and plaid curtains. I thought about my friend who told me once the sight of them is panic inducing after so much time spent staring at them, and I thought, ‘That makes sense to me’. The sight of them reminds me of the time spent with Zoey in the hospital. Those horrible first couple nights, feeling completely overwhelmed, in pain, and desperately wanting to be anywhere but there. As I stared at them this time, on the cusp of having Roo, I thought, ‘I really don’t want to be here’. 



It was another short quick trip to Labour and Delivery. My first being a couple weeks ago after I noticed Roo, our very very active Roo had stopped moving almost entirely for a half a day. That coupled with some spotting sent Henry and I over to get assessed. By the time we were there Roo was squirming around once again but everyone at the hospital told us that it was absolutely the right thing to get checked, if nothing else, but to be sure. I was grateful for their encouragement. This time at 34 and ½ weeks I was asked to go after a day and a half of irregular, but painful cramping. Obviously no cramping occurred while I was hooked up to the monitors but they were able to determine Roo was fine. After a couple quick tests they determined I had a bladder infection and was absolutely having painful cramping. Once again they told me I did the right thing in coming to get checked out since a bladder infection can spur pre term labor or even develop into a kidney infection. So it was again helpful to me to hear that I’m not over reacting or being silly. It is making Henry and I wonder if Roo is willing to stay put for much longer. I thought about the reality of that while I sat in the Assessment room.  I had truly not realized how soon Full Term is until the nurse chatted cheerfully, “Only 2 more weeks and you’re ready to go!”. I had to pause and ask her if she was serious. I hadn’t even realized how big my belly was until last week. I literally was waddling around thinking I still have my 20 week belly, but the truth is I’m much much bigger than that now. Roo will be here before we know it and it’s thrilling and terrifying all at once. Perhaps it’s because I know now, more than I ever did before Zoey was born how much a newborn can rock your world. 


The basement is nearly finished which is an amazing blessing. Having that space finished will change how we are able to function as a family in the house. Having a room downstairs means we can have both Roo and Zoey upstairs and we will hopefully be painting and setting up Zoey’s ‘New Room’ this weekend. Our goal has always been to make that transition with a fair amount of space between Roo’s arrival and her moving rooms. We don’t want there to be any association of, “I had to move out of MY room because of the baby.” We are also decorating it with fun colours and characters to make it an exciting change. I expect a night or two of adjustment, but I think she will overall really enjoy having a Big Girl room for her own. I also expect that setting up the crib again will make things feel even more real. 

34 Weeks
Physically, I’ve been feeling tired and getting and staying comfortable is increasingly more challenging. Off and on I was having the sensation of having been kicked very hard in the pelvic bone. I remembered it vaguely from my pregnancy with Zoey, but not a painful and less frequent. My Doctor told me that with a second pregnancy babies head can drop into place and then bounce back out repeatedly. But it seems yesterday Roo has dropped and so far seems content there. I’ll be very interested to hear where I’m at, at my next appointment. Henry and I are trying to mentally prepare for the very real possibility that baby could show up on time or even a little early. Henry’s guess is currently 3 days before Christmas, but I’m trying to balance preparedness and patience to go the long haul into January if it comes to it. Not the easiest to figure out, but we are doing our best!

No comments: