Monday, August 20, 2012

First Few Days of Potty Training....

I am happy to report that the first few days have gone really well! She's getting the hang of it slowly and we are keeping her pull ups dry for longer and longer periods of time. I'm not sure if she has figured out that pee and poo only go in the potty, but she's realizing that the potty is used for those things. We were just waiting for the first time she went in the potty to be enthusiastic and give her Smarties (the special treat she picked herself) and when it happened we cheered and clapped and she was so excited that we were excited! Over the last day and a half she is going within five minutes of being on the seat. We are still working on doing number two on the potty but in time that will happen.

I felt so stressed about this process at first and I wasn't sure why. I have helped with potty training over my years in the Early Learning field, but never spear headed it myself. But upon some reflection I realized my problem was due to the fact that I've never had a problem with diapers. I know I know....crazy! Most parents are ecstatic about the idea of no diapers to change but I'm a little strange I suppose. Even with a new baby coming I really felt no pressure to get Zoey out of them. I genuinely feel that with the 10 a day for a newborn what's the 3-4 a day she was using. But we realized with all our foot dragging, that the fights we were having in changing her diapers every time was due to the fact she didn't want to have them anymore. Zoey is a child who continues to surprise us with her ability to suddenly figure something out and just does it. She did it with sleeping, naps, eating, walking, weaning, etc. So we are learning to also take her cues and let her develop these skills when she tells us she's ready.



We were also surprised that she does not mind being on the big potty. We have a small portable one for her when she needs it, but overall we've spent most of our time on the big one and using a seat that was given to us by friends (thanks guys!!), the Bumbo potty seat seems to work great for girls specifically. The only trouble we've found with the little seat we have for her, is the hard seat obviously gets uncomfortable after waiting for over 5 minutes and Bumbo is the same soft foam from the original seats.  So overall, we are so proud and excited of our Zoey! I think in a couple day's we'll be heading out to buy her some big girl undies! That will be a big day for all of us!



So for my own future reference, here are some things I've learned in the last day or two about Potty Training:

  • Make sure you have the time to dedicate to potty training. I can't imagine it would work at all if you're looking the clock for anything other than, when's the next time to sit on the potty.
  •  Find a seat that is comfortable for them.
  •  I think that for us, sitting on the potty should be limited to about 20 minutes. If nothing, then try again in an hour to hour and a half.
  •  Talk about the potty lots! Make a big deal out of it, but never ever scold them for accidents. This one I know from my Early Learning experience, it tends to do more harm then good. You can explain gently that we want to stay clean and dry but that they are not bad for having an accident.
  • Make a big deal out of successes! Have some sort of reward system, something that is of value to them. On top of any tangible reward clap and cheer and get excited!
  • Have patience. I don't think I've ever spent so much time in the bathroom as I have these last few days, and waiting for that first success was tough, but I've learned in all ways children pick up on our stress and frustration. If we feel frustrated, so will them and that stalls progress. So try your best to make it a quality time project if you can!

I've read so many articles and no fail strategies for Potty Training and I think that's putting a lot of pressure on parents and kids. Every child is so unique and what works for Zoey may or may not work for you or even for Roo once that time comes. You are the expert in your own child, so gather all the ideas and advice you need and make the call based on your child and who they are! It's tough work changing gears from a whole life whizzing in a diaper where ever to having to hold it for a potty. It all will come in time and you only need to focus on your child not what others think.

I say all this to encourage others and remind myself that it's okay on the inevitable days that will feel more discouraging than today. I will keep you posted!

 

No comments: