We had a demonstration of how much she has grown last weekend. She showed us how capable she really is under pressure. We were on our way out to Henry's soccer game when I popped out on the deck to grab supper off the grill so it would be ready when we got back. I shut the patio door behind me to make sure Sy didn't follow me outside when Zoey locked the toe lock on the door. She was being silly and having fun, but the problem was she didn't know how to unlock it to let me back in the house. Since we were on our way out, everything was locked up and my phone was inside. I tried for about an hour to give her direction to unlock the door and she tried, she tried so hard. The lock is tricky, even for adults who try it the first time find it a little disorienting so I understood why she was having trouble. We tried a few different options but nothing was working. I finally asked her to bring my phone to me, hoping we could squeeze it through a crack in the patio door. She climbed up on a chair to get the house phone and started to climb down. Unfortunately she didn't see that Sy had taken the vent cover off and she stepped inside and hammered her leg against the tile edge. I likely don't have to explain how unbelievably awful seeing your baby girl bruised, bleeding, and crying for you and being unable to get to her, feels. I was fairly sure she was going to be okay, but that feeling will stay with me for quite sometime. Despite all that, Zoey rallied and managed to keep helping me try and get inside. She mustered up bravery and climbed back up on the chair to get my cell for me. The crack in the patio door was just big enough to barely get the phone through so it took some time and some determined effort from Zoey. I was unsure if she was going to be able to get it pushed through, but she tried, and was not going to give up until she succeeded. My heart swells with pride when I think of it, it was incredible. Finally I had my phone and I tried calling Henry on the off chance that he had is phone on the bench with him. After thinking for a minute I decided it was time to call 911. They were so helpful and sent an officer to the house and a locksmith was close behind. The officer arrived first and amazingly got in through an unexplained unlocked window (they are all securely locked tight now). In the 20 or so minutes while we waited for the officer to arrive Zoey grabbed the iPad after I asked her to take care of her brother. She sat in front of the patio door and played games and turned on a movie for him so I could see both of them. She was mentally and physically drained by this point but kept talking to me and stayed remarkably in control. When the officer came inside she was a little stressed by the stranger inside the house while Mommy was outside. However, once I was inside the officer talked to her and she told him about her Owie and how she got herself a bandaid. I was so impressed at her willingness to talk to him and stay in control even then.
When Henry got home we recounted the story and he showed her how to unlock the door if it ever happened again. We also have a plan set for anytime something like this happens again, although hopefully it doesn't. We have been talking all week about how amazed and proud of Zoey we are, how she took care of her brother, even though she was hurt and scared she kept helping me, how she was brave and talked to the Police Officer, and how she took care of her brother and listened so well. She was very mature and grown up, and it seems so fitting that she would be having her birthday this weekend.
Our sweet Zoey is so brave, kind, loving, smart, and funny.
When she dances I feel unable to actually contain all the joy she brings me.
When she laughs we can't help but smile.
When she plays with and takes care of her baby brother we feel so much gratitude for her and her loving heart.
When she sings 'Let It Go' from Frozen, I am in awe of her mind and her ability to memorize and learn.
When she is patient and knows that we have presents for her but is willing to wait a whole two weeks, we nearly burst with pride.
When she uses her manners we are thankful for her willingness to listen and to bless others with her thoughtfulness.
We are so very thankful for you Zoey and can't wait to bless you on your Birthday tomorrow! We can't wait to see what this next year and every year after holds for you. We pray daily that God would continue to build you up and draw you close. Thank you being so perfectly you.
We love you! Happy Birthday Sweet Pea <3



1 comment:
Great blog. Loved reading it! Love you guys!
Post a Comment