Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ultrasound Two

We were sent for a second Ultrasound Monday this week. Our OBgyn decided he wanted a look at her size since I was measuring a little smaller, nothing to be worried about, but just to be thorough. I went in to get the results already on Tuesday. Things get done quickly with this doctor!

At the ultrasound we had a harder time spotting things on the screen. Since she is so much bigger than the first time there is less room to recognize different features. We did manage to get a nice profile picture where you can see a little button nose. We were told that she also has hair! Since I was bald until I was at least two years old this was a surprise. The tech pointed out some strange stringy looking stuff and she said, "There, that's her hair". Henry and I both laughed, "Are you sure this is our baby we are looking at?"


One thing that was interesting was that she was in a 'Footling Breeched' position or feet down position.


By the time I went for my appointment on Tuesday the doctor said she felt like she was in head down position. She is definitely flipping around a lot in there. He said we have loads of time for her to settle in since I am at 33 weeks and they usually don't settle in until 36 - 37 weeks. It does mean that at 37 weeks I have to go in for another ultrasound to see where she is sitting. Clearly this also means, if she is still breeched at this point I'll likely be scheduled for a C-Section. It was funny when Henry and I found out her position, we realized that we had not considered this possibility at all. So we are talking now about what happens and what is the plan if this is the case for us, which is a very real possibility. At Prenatal Classes they told us here in Lethbridge it's about 1 in 4 births that are done as a Section. I definitely would prefer a natural birth, I love the idea of being surprised by labor and going through that experience, but we will do what we need for our baby girl and if this is what happens in order to keep us both safe I'm okay with that. However, it's not like I am expecting this to happen, but I think it's healthy and important to make sure you have mentally approached the possibility.

D Day is coming up quick! It's funny how fast and slow everything has gone by. I feel like I am trying to relax and really focus on enjoying the next few weeks as it's the end of a time in our lives and the start of something so exciting. Also Henry and I are talking a lot honestly about how petrified we are. I think it's okay to be scared. Henry said last night that he figures if you aren't scared, you don't have a healthy understanding of what is to come and what can be involved.

Work is winding down for me. It's strange since it's not like we all get to take the holiday. I am really going to miss my girls at work :) I'm scared they will forget about me or when I come back I'll be soooo behind. So my plan is to continue to harass them while on Mat Leave. Emails, phone calls, packages are all in their future so watch out chickies :)

No comments: